Skip to content

Recent Work

I have finalized my labels and after a visit with Monique I got a very good response.  She made one request to have an image of the bag with the logo on the stationary because the bag is a big part of the design for Al Dente.  I still have to finalize that layout and design with the additional item.  Other than that amendment I am pretty set on my stationary as well.

 

Last week we started working on poster designs.  My first ideas were more text based and after seeing other ideas I have decided to switch to a more image based design to grab the viewers attention.  My initial idea trends are to create a very busy image with a lot of ingredients, cooking utensils, and any other supplies needed for cooking combined with a slogan, “Are you confused/lost?”  or “need help straightening out the mess?”  followed by the information about Al Dente cooking demonstrations. Some of the inspiration came from searching the web, here are those images.

The only problem I am struggling with is being able to use the images.  I would need to take my own images so that they are big enough for the poster.  Another option is to draw everything to accomplish the right look that I want.   My ideas might be too lofty for this design, I may have to keep a similar idea but tone down the design.

Poster sketches 1

poster beginnings

I am starting to sketch out ideas and concepts for the posters.  The sketches are very rough right now – I plan to pick one favorite and create a digital version to work from. 

Poster Start

Labels + start of poster

final label aldente

Final Labels (Classic Line)

new labels

Weeks 4-5:: Emily Maier

At the beginning of week four we were starting to work on our designs for the stationary.  We were encouraged to explore color, black and white, and many other design choices within the boundaries of the formating for stationary.  I learned a lot about placement, and how different elements align and how the overall appearance is effected by those choices.

 

My initial drafts for the stationary were mostly black and white with a few color elements.  After the first meeting and critique I added important elements a a hint of color to most of the stationary to come up with these examples.

After the further discussion about the stationary I need to focus on the spacing between the elements as well as alignment and hierarchy.  I need to make connections between elements such as the primary information and the secondary information as well as the graphic elements and the text.

The next few items that we worked on are the labels for the classic line, t-shirts, aprons, and recipe cards.  It was easier to think about these items after working on the stationary.  I felt like I had a base to start from in terms of relationships between text and graphics and the visual space.  I worked on grouping information and the hierarchy of information and then how that relates to the graphic elements in my designs.

I want to focus on the color combinations and making them more visually attractive.  I need to go in and tighten up the relationships between all of the various labels.  I am also going to experiment with size and line weight of some of the information.

I need to do a lot of work on my t-shirt designs, my aprons and my recipe cards, in terms of hierarchy of information as well as something that is more playful and wearable.

Stationary and Shirts

Stationary and more